Saturday, February 12, 2011

Life Skills on a Low Income

There are times as a mother (or a father) when you think back to your childhood and wonder "How the HELL did my parents do it?  What is the secret?"  I think the funny part about becoming a parent is realizing just how clueless you can be, and still make it through okay.  I grew up in a combined family setting.  My mother remarried when I was eight, and we became a family of five kids.  Now, granted my step brother and sister did not live with us full time, but I have to sit back and wonder now how the heck my mom and step-dad paid for us to do ANYTHING extra, outside of basic necessities.  There was soccer, gymnastics, karate, among other activities that we as kids participated in.  Now, as my children are getting to the age where they want to get involved in Taekwondo and dance, I am wondering how we are going to make this work on one income. 
I spent a great deal of time yesterday researching karate and dance companies in our area.  I started first with the recreation centers close by.  Well, guess what folks, we rent a house from an owner that does not pay taxes to any one district, so we would be paying the non-resident prices at any city community center in the surrounding areas.  Expanding my search, I began calling privately owned companies.  WOWZA!!  Talk about expensive!!  Some of the karate (yes, I am using this term loosely, I know there are many different types and forms) places want almost $200 a month!  And the dance companies weren't much better.  The thing with dance is you have to add in prices of costumes, and recital or competition fees.  Which leaves me wondering why the hell I would want to worry about that crap when Jocey is just barely FOUR.  I started to feel stressed out about the whole thing, and depressed that I want to provide this for my children, but the expenses are so ludicrous that the chances are looking slim.
This morning I took Ben to a trial class at a American Taekwondo Association location.  I was blown away by how great it was!  The woman running this particular location was extremely helpful, and explained that they do have a scholarship program available for lower income families.  Woohoo!  I will have to bring our tax forms in to see if we qualify.  Ben had so much fun during his 30 minute class.  He learned some basic blocks and kicks, and had fun playing agility games with the other student and the instructor.  He learned about courtesy, and was saying "Yes, sir!" like the best of them.  This program has a strong focus on "Life Skills", which is the best part.  I feel really confident that Ben will gain a great deal from these classes, things that will stick with him into his future. 
This has left me feeling more optimistic about our situation.  I am hoping that we will be able to find something similar in the dance realm for Jocelyn.  I really do feel that it is important for our children to venture outside of our home, to make friends, and to have other positive figures in their lives besides their parents.  The fact that this seems to be such an expensive prospect just means that I need to do a little extra work in finding the solution.

2 comments:

  1. Maggie, remember that both Ben and Jo are young yet and have plenty of time to take classes. As your situation improves (and it will) you will be able to provide more opportunities. The best thing for them now would be to meet some friends their age. This is free. So are there ways to meet with other parents in your situation and in your neighborhood or school district?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie, we would love to extend the invitation to you to offer the kids FREE horseback riding lessons with our trainer. It may not expose them to other kids right away but it would increase their self confidence! Dad and Lynn

    ReplyDelete