Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ben's Froggy Blanket

A few minutes ago I tucked Benjamin in for bed.  He had a stuffed animal neatly tucked in next to him, but there was no sign of his favorite frog blanket.  I made a comment about the stuffed animal, and Ben said he and Jocey traded.
"I gave Jo Bear my froggy blankie so that her tummy would feel better", he told me.  (She had complained of a tummy ache earlier.)
"Well, you were a very good brother to do that," I responded.
"I know.  I like to take care of her," he said sleepily.
Right about here was when my sense of pride kicked into full gear.  There are times when Ben is mean, rude and downright nasty to his sister.  Of course she has the ability to give him hell right back.  This is what siblings are all about.  I should know, as I have four of them.  But when Ben saw Jocey was troubled about something, he gave her his absolute FAVORITE item willingly, so that she would feel better. 
I have to say that witnessing acts of selflessness such as what Ben did for his sister tonight makes me feel really great as a parent.  Family is ALWAYS first, and being considerate of them is a lesson that Ben seems to learning well.

No comments:

Post a Comment