Thursday, July 7, 2011

A hard job?

Some people have asked me how I do my job.  Is it depressing?  Is it hard to watch so many pets die?  How do you do it?  To be honest I am pretty good at looking past the sadness, and realizing that this is a job that needs to be done.  Someone has to be there to help pet owners make the decision to say good bye, and I get to be the one to tie up the loose ends.  Yeah, it sucks sometimes.  Last week I came in and after only an hour I had seen three euthanasias.  Some days are just like that. Other days I get to say hello to energetic puppies with smiling owners that are looking forward to a bright future for their pet. There is an end to every beginning I guess.

I will say that when it comes time for my pets' time to go, that I hope it happens without a struggle; a peaceful ending.  That's what I really have a hard time with- when an owner comes in with a sick pet, does everything they can to help us help them, but to no avail.  Part of it is a financial burden of course- it is awful to spend $2000 trying to get your loved cat or dog back to feeling good without result.  But the emotional toll is worse.  Tonight my shift ended with two such cases.  Right before these two sad endings, I watched a family say good bye to a 12 year old lab with teary eyes.  Tonight I was definitely wiping my own eyes discreetly.

The positive of all of this is that every time I come home from a shift at the hospital, I hug my three babies tightly and am grateful for their good health.  Tinkerbell, Griffin and Faiga won't always be around, and I am going to enjoy every day I get to spend with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment