Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Career

Quick update on the career front...

I have been at the veterinary hospital for three months now.  I am finding my groove, and seem to be getting along with most everyone.  I am learning a lot about wellness care for kitties and doggies, and have seen some pretty ugly emergency cases too.  My hours seem to be all over- I work regular day shifts, late shifts, and an early shift here and there. 

While I am grateful for the paycheck, I am hoping that this is not long term.  Not that I dislike my job, but I would be happier at the zoo.  On that front- I have been volunteering as a keeper assistant for awhile now.  My area includes mongoose, dik-dik, porcupine, cranes, bears, coatis and various sheep.  I do some cleaning in the barn and then help with diets.  There isn't any animal contact, though I do get to converse with the mongoose while I am in that barn. 

Denver just recently opened a position for a Large Mammal Keeper.  I have updated my resume and submitted my application.  I contacted my peeps at Cameron Park Zoo, who have agreed to send letters of rec on my behalf.  I am hoping that the keepers I have met so far might say a word to the curator.  They don't know me very well yet, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. 

In the meantime, I will just keep plugging away.  I will go to work with a smile on my face, because my goal is still within reach, and as they say- good things come to those who wait!!

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment