Saturday, April 2, 2011

Yay!

Well, I made it through my first week at the vet clinic!!  I didn't break the computer or get cussed at by a doctor!  In all seriousness, all the staff I have met so far have been pretty friendly, and the "client care" team (who I work right next to) are pretty awesome.  I feel really good about the training thus far, and am doing my best to learn quickly so I can be useful.  Next week I will be working some late shifts, so I should see more of the "emergency" end of the hospital.  Truth be told I have already been exposed to several euthanasia's, and while it is very sad, I have been able to stay focused, and not get emotional about it.  Part of having a pet is saying good-bye to them at some point. 
I also went to a quick training at the zoo today for the "Keeper Assistant" role for volunteers.  They have a few openings in several of the animal areas.  This is a weekly or 2x/month commitment, and the duties are cleaning and diets,etc depending on the area.  This would give me some exposure to the animal care staff, and help me get some volunteer hours.  It is a competitive program to some extent, since it is a popular activity for volunteers.  However, I have a leg up because of my previous keeper experience, so I feel pretty confident.  I will be talking to my boss this coming week to see if he can accommodate this commitment with my work schedule. 
The kids did great at daycare this past week.  They seem to be pretty comfortable with Denise, the provider we chose.  Of course they are trying to figure out their boundaries with her, and learning some new rules.  Jocey told Denise that I allow her to have cereal for lunch, for example.  And Ben is not too sure about the preschool worksheets that she has her other kids do, so we are going slow with that at first.  All in all though, I feel pretty good about it, and I think the kids do too. 
Ben and Jo are still doing great with Teakwondo and dance.  Ben's first tournament is April 9th!!  He won't really be competing, but he will show off some of his knowledge with the other tigers in the program.  We will be sure to get some pictures of that.  Jo is learning a lot at dance, and can now recognize and demonstrate certain terms, such as arabesque and posse (sp?).  Her balance is improving and she is making a couple of good friends.
That it's for the Brown's right now!!  I hope everyone is doing well.  More updates to come soon, I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment