Wednesday, August 10, 2011

One day at a time

So many of you know that last week Paul's Grandfather, Ken Cooper, passed away.  Paul received a phone call from his mother early Thursday morning.  He called her back during his break, and then called me at work around 10am.  When I got his voice mail I could tell something was seriously wrong, and I immediately returned his call.  When he told me the news, I dropped.  Literally, in the back room at the hospital.  Shit!!  It's just not fair.  Ken was an amazing man, not just as a husband, father, or grandfather, but someone who just LISTENED when you needed to talk.  He never judged me, or told me what to do, he just sat with me and let me talk when I needed.  He would tell me stories of Paul's mom and siblings growing up, and of he and Paul's grandmother when they were younger.  I cherish those times spent on the back porch, just enjoying each others company. 



                This is one of my favorite family shots with Ken.  That smile is how I will remember him.

Paul and I left work on Thursday and headed up to Fort Collins with kids in tow to be with the Brown family.  There is never a "right" thing to do in these situations, but we wanted to be present to help with whatever needed.  And we knew that Paul's mom would appreciate having her grandchildren around.  If nothing else, our children certainly do know how to brighten someone's day.  Things intensified when Paul's sister called to say that she was having contractions.  Miss Kodi was getting ready to arrive.  So we headed to Jennifer's house.  We spent the day together, hanging out at the apartment, taking the kids to the park, and just showing support for Jennifer.  Her contractions continued into Friday.  I had to head back to Denver to go to work, but was kept updated of the excitement.  Miss Kodi Rahnae was born on August 5th at 5:11pm.  She was 6lbs 15oz and 20 and 3/4" long, with plenty of dark hair. 

On Saturday I returned to Fort Collins to be with the family and meet my niece.  What a treasure!!  Kodi is absolutley beautiful.  And her parents, Zach and JB have lots to be happy about.  Kaedence is going to be a great big sister, I can tell.  Jocey and Ben were pretty excited as well about their new cousin.  Thinking about my own cousins, I feel so grateful that our kids have the chance to be close with their cousins, and have that chance to know them other than through photographs.  This is one of the many reasons Colorado is where we belong.

                                                                  Miss Kodi Rahnae

This past week has been pretty crazy.  Paul and his parents left on Sunday to head to OK for Ken's funeral.  Paul returned last night while I was working a late shift.  I work late again tonight, which means I have had very little time with my husband.  It's all short term though, and that's what matters.  Life will move on, and this week will just be a memory soon. 

In the meantime, I am trying hard to get daycare for Jocey and school for Ben all under control.  Ben's first day is the 22nd.  We have to go get school supplies, and take him shopping for clothes.  Jocey will be attending an in home daycare up the street from Ben's school, and Ben will be doing BASE camp for after school care.  Lots of changes about to happen, but I am feeling like they will be good ones, and certainly pretty exciting for Mister Benjamin. 

That's it for now.... until next time.  Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment